Share Now

Kuala Lumpur, 30 June 2016 – Road accidents can happen to us anytime. When an unexpected car accident happen, it can leave us feeling confused which may resulted in us seeking help from unknown parties.

PIAM and MTA wish to advise consumers that it is important to be fully informed on the correct procedures to be adopted in an event of an accident to ensure that the consumers’ interests are protected.

Firstly, a vehicle owner must understand that purchasing an insurance policy/contributing to Motor Takaful is not only for the renewal of his road tax and to drive legally on the road. An insurance cover/Takaful participation can protect the vehicle owner in the case of an accident. In this instance, the vehicle owner must know the various types of motor insurance covers, such as:-

Third Party cover:  This policy/Takaful Certificate insures/protects you against claims for bodily injuries or deaths caused to other persons (known as the third party), as well as loss or damage to third party property caused by your vehicle.

Third Party, Fire and Theft cover: This policy provides insurance/Takaful protection against claims for third party bodily injury and death, third party property loss or damage, and loss or damage to your own vehicle due to accidental fire or theft.

Comprehensive cover: This policy/Takaful Certificate provides the widest coverage, i.e. third party bodily injury and death, third party property loss or damage as well as loss or damage to your own vehicle due to accidental fire, theft or an accident.

As soon as your car is involved in an accident, we advise you to take the following steps, regardless of who was at fault to ensure the reporting process after the accident is less stressful and smoother when making your insurance/Motor Takaful claim.

 What must you DO?

  • Stay calm.
  • Call the insurance or Takaful agent/insurance company/Takaful Operator to notify them of the accident immediately and to seek advice.
  • You may also call the Accident Assist Call Centre (AACC) at the toll free number of 1-300-22-11-88 for general enquiries and road assistance services.
  • Note down a detailed description of what happened and collect as much of information as possible.
    • Take a photo of the accident scene and damage to the car
    • Write down the following details:
      • Particular of drivers – Name, IC, Contact Number, Address
      • Vehicle details – Model and registration number
      • Name of driver’s insurer
    • Lodge a police report within 24-hour of accident.
    • In the event you are hassled by unscrupulous third parties, you may also lodge a police report on this matter.

What must you NOT do?

  • Do not enter into any negotiations with any party without prior consent of the insurers/Takaful Operators
  • Do not accept any settlement, receive any cash advance, reveal personal banking information or sign any document from unknown parties in request to offer help. This is to avoid accident victims receiving inadequate claim amount compared to original amount to be paid by the insurers/Takaful Operators as a result of the unknown parties charging high amount of service fee and expenses claimed.

Once you have lodged a police report, you can proceed to make a claim with your insurance company/Takaful Operator:-

  1. For damage claims, always seek advice from the insurer/Takaful Operator or agent on the type of documents required for claim processing, whether it is to be submitted to own insurer/Takaful Operator or to submit to the other party’s insurer /Takaful Operator within 7 days of the date of accident/loss if you are not physically disabled or hospitalized following the accident
  1. For injury claims, call AACC at 1-300-22-11-88 to direct you to the insurer/Takaful operator concerned within 30 days or as soon as practicable if you are physically disabled or hospitalized as a result of the accident.

If you choose to pursue a motor claim involving third party bodily injury and death or third party property damage directly with the driver’s insurer/Takaful Operator or appoint a lawyer, always ensure that the compensation that you receive is adequate. Please exercise care and where necessary seek expert advice in reaching any settlement for compensation with the other vehicle’s insurer/Takaful Operator as such settlement is likely to be final.

For further information, you may refer to Accident Assist Call Centre at 1-300-22-1188 or visit the PIAM website at or MTA website at