Experiencing motor accident is an unpleasant experience for all of us. It effects range from mild consequences (minor car defects, minor injury) to severe consequences (loss of car use, temporary/permanent disability, loss of lives). Therefore practising safe driving is important to avoid this unfortunate incident.
If you are dealing with a motor accident and are in need of urgent medical assistance following a road accident, you must contact MERS999 immediately. Otherwise, the following guides would help you to handle this situation more effectively.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO IF YOU MEET WITH A MOTOR ACCIDENT
- Be calm, polite and courteous. DO NOT admit liability or offer any settlement or payment.
- Note down as much of the following items:-
- the personal particulars of the driver(s) involved in the road accident – name(s), IC number(s), address(es), driving licence number(s) and telephone contact(s) (if possible)
- the name of the insurer of the other vehicle(s)
- make/model and registration number(s) of the other vehicle(s) involved in the road accident
- registration number of tow truck(s) (if any)
- Make a simple diagram of the accident scene. This will help you when making a police report later on, as you will also be required to do so.
- Snap photos and note down the extent of the damage(s) to the vehicles/property involved (if the situation permits).
- Immediately call your insurer’s roadside assistance service (if provided). They will ask you some simple questions about the accident and if necessary, will assist in arranging for a panel tow truck to assist you and to tow your vehicle to the nearest panel workshop. They will be able to also advise you on the nearest panel workshop which you may go to in order to repair your vehicle.
- Make a Police Report of the road accident. You are required by law to lodge a police report as soon as practicable, and in any case within 24 hours of a road accident of your vehicle.
- Cooperate with the investigator/loss adjuster appointed by the insurer to undertake an independent:
- assessment of the repairs recommended by the panel workshop; or
- investigation of the theft of your vehicle